Reading Snapshot: ED and ING Inflectional Endings!

Monday, May 8, 2017

Longest.week.ever and we only had 3 days of school!  Monday seems like and eternity ago, Tuesday we had off for Passover, Wednesday was PT Conferences and, finally, at long last- it is Thursday and tomorrow we have off for Good Friday.   Yippee!  I can't believe Easter is already here; Thanksgiving centers seem like yesterday.  Seven weeks left! Sooo much left to do. Seriously, where has this year gone?

I wanted to keep reading group plans light considering we had such a short week.  I figured I would breeze through endings lickity split and gear up for a new topic next week.  I thought wrong.  Monday's lessons showed me that endings, in fact, would not be "lickity split" this year.  Rather I would spent my day off on Tuesday creating some more activities to reinforce these concepts with the little readers.  

I started off teaching about -ed endings with Lori Rosenberg's super helpful 3 Sounds of ED posters.  These provided concrete visual and auditory references for the students.  Followed by a simple cut and paste word sort of the /t/, /id/, and /d/ sound.  




On Wednesday and today, I continued with similar word sorts but also added in some fun games for  review and reinforcement.  I am totally anti-worksheets, so if I can turn something into a board game I most certainly will!  



The kids loved the spinners on these board games.   First, they spun the number spinner to move X number of spaces.  Then, once they landed on a word, they spun the ED/ING endings spinner to determine what ending to add.  For my enrichment group, I added extra layers of difficulty by asking them to also state which sound the "ed" ending made or use an "ing" ending word in a sentence.  





I knew these games were a hit when the little readers asked to keep playing them during their independent Daily Five station!  Jackpot!  Next week, I will put out the Connect Four game boards for review in my Word Work game bin.   You can snag this Inflectional 'ED' 'ING' Endings HERE




Okay, now it's time for me to TGIF TGIThursday! Happy Easter, one and all! :) 





3 Comments »

3 Responses to “Reading Snapshot: ED and ING Inflectional Endings!”

  1. I love the board game and I agree with you! My kids love playing games to help them learn different concepts and skills.

    Jasmine
    Buzzing With Mrs. McClain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!
    I love the board game, and it sounds like you are doing a great job engaging your students! They are learning, and they don't even know it. I found you through this linky, and I am also new to the blogging world. I am at loveandteachon.blogspot.com
    I am looking for some suggestions/ endorsements to get my blog up and going!!

    Do you have any suggestions??

    Have a great Easter!


    Gabrielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great ideas! Thank you for sharing the link to my posters! I'm happy your class is learning from them!

    ReplyDelete